Sunday, April 19, 2009

A little bit of heaven

This afternoon I enjoyed a little bit of heaven. Erick and Gena, Raegan and Greyson came over for lunch after services at Memorial Rd. We had a good lunch and it was quieter than usual, since Greyson was asleep as he was carried into our home by his Dad. Erick put him in a dark, quiet room for a long nap. The rest of us had lunch and then Gena left for an afternoon engagement. Erick stayed for awhile, until Raegan told me (I'm known as 'Poppy') that she wanted to go to with me to her room to play. This was to be a private party for the two of us, and no one else was invited. I felt really special. We went into the room and she shut the door, so that her brother, when he awakened, would not interrupt our play time. We played with a plastic puzzle for awhile and then decided to get out the markers and draw. We invented some improbable-looking animals, such as the "OSTLE", which is a turtle/ostrich combo, and jazzed it up in a manner that would have made Dr. Seuss envious. We then invented the hump-backed, flying, feathered, plier-jawed alligator, and a few other honorable mentions. Raegan has a good imagination, and it was fun helping her see some of the combinations she'll never gaze upon in the zoo. We drew and colored and then practiced turning random squiggles into 'real' creatures or odd-looking humans.

At one point, Paula and Erick came into the room, with Greyson, after he had awakened from his nap. Raegan did not care for the interruption of our 'private time' playing together. I couldn't let her see it, but inside, I was just beaming that, for this little bit of time, I was her preferred playmate. It was a little bit of heaven, this wonderful Sunday afternoon, and I'll never forget it!

4 comments:

OCdeanwife said...

Sounds like the perfect day. I remember some of those made-up combo animals you made with my girls when they were little -- I think I still have them in the keep-sake box! Sorry if the dog we had over the weekend disturbed any of your perfect day! I was wishing I had a dazer!

Gena said...

Joni, you just made my Dad's day mentioning the dazer. Dad, I just wrote a blog about you. Thanks for today.

The Shoemakes said...

Gene, you are such a wonderful poppy : ) Our little bean sure is lucky to get you for a grandpa! I love the dazer by the way, Jeff and I zap all the neighborhood dogs with it, as well as our own... Love you

Gene said...

Joni, I had not remembered doing drawings with your girls when they were little ('littler!'...they still look pretty little to me...of course I'm older than the rocks in my flower beds!

The dog you had over the weekend didn't bother us. We can't hear things when we're indoors.

Jeff used one of the Dazers the other day, when a neihbor's dog was foaming at the mouth, and snarling at Jeff's tiny little dogs. Jeff touched the Dazer and the dog tucked his ears and ran away. That German Shepherd came back a few minutes later, for another run at Jeff's puppies, and Jeff sent him packing again...thanks to the Dazer!