Friday, October 23, 2009

Passing the baton


Years ago I attended a little Christian college in Ft. Worth. It was tiny. Because it was tiny, I was, even though I had little talent for it, chosen to be on the track team.

I was not memorable as a member of the 440-yd. relay team, but we did all right at a few meets where people from other microscopically-tiny colleges and small universities gathered to compete and show their stuff.

The part I enjoyed was the passing of the baton. Baton-passing is an art form. If the approaching runner (who has the baton) is not careful, he will run over the man in front of him. If the runner in front (waiting to receive the baton) does not carefully judge when and how fast to take off running (while reaching back for the baton to be slapped into his hand), he will run off and leave the tired runner behind him in the dust!

Over the years, I have thought of baton-passing a number of times, in a number of different settings. Last week, I felt, as I have before, a sense of 'baton-passing' when my son Jeff and his beautiful wife, Candita, allowed Paula and I to share in the moments after their baby daughter was born. A new life -- born into a happy marriage. A new addition to a young family! We have experienced this twice before -- when Erick and Gena enjoyed the births of Raegan and Greyson Alexander. The cycle of life repeated again!

Parents all hope, as they see their children grow up and marry and have children of their own, that they, as parents, will have contributed in some way, to the 'next leg of the race' in life. As parents, we want so desperately to hand off the baton with great care. As in a relay, the handing off of the baton is so very important. More important than any athletic event, the successful handing off of the baton in life may pass on elements of faith, courage, hope, discipline, balance, gentleness of spirit, the love of beauty, an understanding of forgiveness and tolerance, love
of man and love of God. Come to think of it, the love of God encompasses ALL the other attributes! Parents all want to hand off such batons, for such are the yearnings of parents. How about you?...are you preparing to 'pass the baton' to others someday?

Just a thought I wanted to share tonight....

6 comments:

Sada said...

Gene, that is a precious thought. I just found your blog tonight...I'll be reading more!

Glenda said...

Hi, Gene! Congratulations on the birth of another grandchild. I happened upon your site and Mickey and I have enjoyed your stories of OC! Hope you and Paula are doing well. Tell her "hello" for us!...Glenda

Gene said...

Thanks, ladies, for stopping in!

Glenda, are you the Glenda of Mickey and Glenda Sandlin? Your names keep coming up in conversations I've been having with OCC friends! I haven't seen the two of you in what?--- 40 years?

I would love to know about what you two have been up to over all the years since college. Please tell Mickey ('brother!' hello for me. I was always pleased when someone looked at me and saw a resemblance to Mickey. He was always so fit -- any passing resemblance to him made my day!

Gena said...

Love the post Dad. Thanks for writing a new one. Also, for coming to my concert today......just like old times!

Gene said...

Gena, I loved being able to attend your concert yestderday. I sat there and was just filled with love and admiration for you. You looked so pretty, conducting that orchestra of young people. You had great stage presence -- you smiled, spoke clearly, had great animation and confidence! Your smile and professionalism was noted by the parents and grandparents in the audience!!! Your kids played well. I was so proud of you for the woman you've become! I felt like my heart would burst! And to top it all off, yesterday was your birthday --32 years of grace and loveliness!

I love you, sweet girl!

Glenda said...

Yes, Gene, I'm that Glenda! We're doing well. Mickey is presently employed with AT&T (26yrs.) and I retired from teaching 2 yrs. ago. We've lived in the Dallas area for the past 8 years and plan on retiring here. Our 2 children are in the area. Prior to that we lived in the Houston area for 7 yrs, San Antonio for 2 yrs, St. Louis, 8 yrs., Topeka, KS.2 yrs, and Duncan, OK, 8 yrs. We've loved all those places and made some wonderful friends! Mickey still lifts his weights and enjoys his fishing as often as possible.
Here's my blog site www.goingtogoogoos.blogspot.com and here's our granddaughter's where you can see some pics of Mickey www.lillyrucker.com
I hope you keep those great stories coming. It's a real treat to read them!
.......Glenda