Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My Special Day with Jesse Owens


Many years ago there was a man with colossal athletic abilities. He was a black man, and was the best in the world at the time. He represented the U.S.A. at the Olympics, much to the displeasure of Adolf Hitler. Jesse Owens was--- all of his life, a larger-than-life man. He was an humble man, and never used his fame in an inappropriate way. He was a legend and is STILL a legend.

Back in the '70's, when I was fresh out of college at OCC and worked for the college (before OCC became a university), I was asked to pick Jesse Owens up at Will Rogers Airport and take him to OCC. I was also asked to take him anywhere he wanted or needed to go while he was here in the OKC area that day. Wow! What an honor! When Guy Ross asked me, I jumped at the chance! I had a brand new '71 Chevrolet Monte Carlo and was thrilled to have the chance to spend some time with Mr. Owens.
I didn't have to share him with anyone during our drive-time.

I asked Mr. Owens a lot of questions, about his career and about his life. It probably comes as no surprise to you that Mr. Owens had very little to say about his remarkable life, filled with fame and fortune -- with his associations with other famous people. I was in awe of the man! Mr. Owens, however, was an unusual man. He would not talk about his life, his fame, his achievements. He had no need of anything that put his life in the spotlight. You know what he wanted to talk about while we drove through the city, to and from the airport and other places? He asked about MY life. I was 27 years old, had never done anything noteworthy--had never been anywhere to speak of. In spite of that, the great man, Jesse Owens, asked me a lot of questions -- about my youth, my parents, why I had chosen Oklahoma Christian for my college education....and a host of other questions. I am sure that my answers were of no real interest or importance to Mr. Owens. He was doing what all truly great people do....he turned the spotlight on the other guy. He made the other guy feel important and relevant.

I will never forget Jesse Owens. Such greatness. Such humility. Such kindness. I wish Mr. Owens still walked among us.

1 comment:

Gena said...

Forget about walking among us. I would have loved to see him run.