Monday, October 6, 2008

Favorite sayings from Mom and Grandmothers

These are random recollections... have you ever heard of them before? Let me know your favorite family sayings! Please don't just read this and 'walk away'...share yours with us...you MUST have some priceless sayings from your family tree as well. :)

Mom (we called her 'Chief', since Dad teasingly referred to Mom as the 'Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer')...would sometimes say this when really astounded about something: " Well, if that don't beat the hen a-peckin' in blue mud!"

Corny, huh? She would say it sometimes--echoing something that she had heard her grandmother say at times). Mom's grandmother, Angie Shoemake Potts (yes, there were Shoemakes on both sides of the family tree...that's why we're all 'a bubble off plumb!'...or 'a brick short of a load!' ...come to think of it, those are cool sayings too. Heard of them? Come on, now! You've got to share!!!


Mom would say this next one when she had experienced a difficult day. This expresses how she would handle the things that life threw at her:

"I just keep battin' 'em back!"


Another phrase of disbelief or incredulity from Mom:

"Well...I'll swan!" (a form of the word for 'swoon' perhaps? Who knows?).


My personal favorite: When Mom encountered someone a little bit self-righteous who would make a big deal of 'going to church' and never get involved in the needs of those around him/her but would have plenty of tiime for criticizing those who were not 'at the building every time the doors were opened'...here's what Mom would say:

"Shoot!...I'd rather SEE a sermon than HEAR one...ANYDAY!" (Then she would get back to work, doing for others...family, neighbors, friends...whomever needed her help).

O.K., people, I've shared some 'corn' from my family....let's have it! YOU need to share now!

2 comments:

dblack said...

When my Grandpa doesn't hear what you've said he responds with, "Stepped in what?"...haha I love that man!

Gene said...

Devy, I love your granpa's saying...now that my hearing is about 35% gone, I can use that line instead of the usual...'huh?'...or, the more formal 'would you say that again?'

Hope you don't mind my plagiarizing!