Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Incomparable Bobby Murcer

Years ago, when we attended the Quail Springs church of Christ, my son Jeff asked me to have Bobby Murcer sign a baseball card. I didn't know who Bobby Murcer was, or what he did prior to seeing that baseball card, since I grew up without much of an exposure to sports of any kind, but I sought Bobby out at Quail Springs church and he graciously signed the card and I gave it to Jeff.

Later on, Paula and I ended up in the same Bible Class as Bobby and Kay attended. I didn't really get to know them there either, but, started to get to know them at the annual Christmas class party 'sponsored' by James Cail, the teacher in my favorite Bible class of all time! Our Christmas parties were always a lot of fun -- still are, as we continue to enjoy them year after year.

Bobby and Kay always attended the class Christmas parties, and, over time, Paula and I grew to appreciate and then to love them -- for a lot of reasons, none of which involved baseball or Bobby's fame. I didn't (and still don't) care anything about baseball, but I loved what I saw in Bobby and his lovely wife. Years later, Paula and I discovered a lot about the two of them that we had not previously known.

The day before Bobby found out that he had a brain tumor, all of the old Quail Springs James Cail class members were at a Christmas party at Jack and Georgia Slentz' home. I had enjoyed a few minutes talking with Bobby. He loved to joke and kid good-naturedly and had a quick mind and an easy laugh. He caused everyone to have a great time, with his razor-sharp wit! I had noticed that Bobby seemed really tired that evening and appeared to have a difficult time getting out of a chair that he had been sitting in. A few minutes later, I went to the center of the group to pick and unwrap my 'Dirty Santa' Christmas gift. On the way, Bobby said something funny (at my expense!)to dig me a little bit, and I turned and said to him, with a laugh: "Big words coming from a man too old and weak to get out of his chair."

I had joked good-naturedly with Bobby, not knowing that something was in fact, not right with him that night. I think Bobby might have thought that he was a little tired from his usual strenuous gym workout or a day at golf...something like that.

As I recall, the next day Bobby found out that he had a brain tumor. Bobby fought that cancer bravely, and showed the world what kind of fighter --- what kind of man he was. The world lost a great man-- a legend in the world of sports -- a legend in the world of real men! We loved Bobby and now miss him terribly.

Long before Bobby's cancer made its appearance, Bobby and Kay Murcer showed themselves to Paula and to me, to be uncommonly wonderful people. Let me share a little about being on the receiving end of 'Murcer love.'

Paula found out a few years ago that she had breast cancer. We were devastated, and Bobby and Kay -- now members at Memorial Road church of Christ, and once again, in the same class where Paula and I also attended. They went out of their way to show Paula and me a degree of care and concern unmatched even by some in our own families. As busy as Bobby and Kay always have been, traveling all over the United States on Yankees' business, they both still found time to constantly call Paula and me to inquire about Paula's treatment and her (and my) well-being. They gave us their cell phone numbers and email addresses and encouraged us to call them. They sent emails constantly and sent cards. We were overwhelmed at the love and concern shown toward us by these two wonderful, Christian people. We have never seen anything like the attention they showered on us.

Some time ago, we were enjoying a hamburger at The Flat Tire in Edmond, OK with Bobby and Kay. During the conversation, I told Bobby that for a long time, after I had met the two of them, I did not know what all the fuss was about--- (meaning Bobby's celebrity status), and added that I had 'never really followed BASKETBALL
anyway! O.K., it was a corny joke, but Bobby and Kay were gracious enough to laugh anyway.

Bobby and Kay have always been people unaffected by fame and fortune. They were friends to Paula and to me when they didn't have to be. We have no fame, no fortune and no ability to really enhance the lives of people like the Murcers, who rubbed elbows with sports legends and countless people who, like Bobby, are well-known everywhere.

About a year ago, I was visiting with Bobby and Kay in their home in Edmond. It was a wonderful visit, and as I stood, preparing to leave, Bobby asked me if we could share a prayer. The three of us stood together in their living room, with our arms around each other. We had shared some personal things during that visit, and I felt very close to both of them. Kay sweetly laid her head on my left shoulder and we stood there and prayed for a long time. When the prayer was concluded, we all hugged and said very special things to one another. I will never forget that time with Bobby and Kay. It was one of the high-water marks in my life.

During the last couple of years, Paula and I have gotten acquainted with Kay's beautiful and loving parents and her brother and his sweet wife. All of them are out of the same mold as Bobby and Kay. They're all godly people with big hearts and a love for people and a love for the Lord.

We will never be the same, from having known Bobby and Kay. I told Bobby and Kay this past year that we have been thoroughly 'MURCERIZED'...we feel like part of their extended family! What wonderful, sweet, loving, gracious people! We miss Bobby so very much.

Kay, we thank God for Bobby and for you. We loved Bobby. We love you!

No comments: