Friday, October 3, 2008

"God's Mailboxes"

When Gena and Jeff were very young, we would often go to the cemetery at Memorial and Kelly and feed the fish. There was a long reflecting pond, full of beautiful koi---hundreds of them -- and they were always hungry! We took old bread and the kids deliighted in feeding them.

We always believed in teaching our kids about the cycle of life, and part of that is learning about a natural and inevitable event in the lives of people and pets. The kids loved to wander about the cemetery and look at grave markers and 'smell' the plastic flowers-- and occasionally some real flowers. One day, as Jeff was running from one container of flowers to another, he yelled at me: "Dad smell these! They smell REAL GOOD!! I went over and 'smelled' the plastic flowers, of course, and, just like Jeff, I thought they smelled just great.

Later on, as we were driving home, Jeff and Gena settled down a little. We always went to Wendy's for a 'Frostie' when we had been out enjoying time together like that. Jeff said to me: "Dad, I know what those markers are for!" I said: "Really? What are they for?" Jeff said: "Those markers are God's mailboxes....but He only sends people in them."

That was, I thought, a profound thought for a three year old little boy. God's mailboxes! Indeed! We had talked about living and dying, and how people and animals all die someday, and that it is as natural as living. We talked about animals living and dying and that there is a difference when people live and die and that we have the opportunity, when we die, to live again, with Jesus.

Out of the mouths of babes....!

2 comments:

thevexingvixen said...

Just shows what a child knows. Well, that is rather serious for me, I guess I should go back to my usual foolishness now.

Gena said...

Hmmmm. Okay. Dad, I love that story. I would give Jeff lots of credit and say he was an really intelligent three year old. But...I'm sure I remember telling him to say that.