Thursday, October 9, 2008

Thanks, Arni, for your gift to me!



In 1968 and 1969, while working for Dow Chemical and healing up from a bunch of surgeries from an accident I had in 1966, I had a friend at Dow named Bill Pryor.  He invited me to come over for dinner one night and his wife cooked dinner.  After dinner he showed me some beautiful oil paintings that he had painted.  I was impressed!  I asked Bill if he would show me how to paint.  He startled me with: "NO...but I'll show you what materials to buy.  If you're truly interested, you'll figure out how to paint.  Get a couple of inexpensive books.  They'll give you a little direction."  So -- right there, that weekend, I became a would-be artist.  I stayed with it, and over the next decade, did dozens of seascapes and sunsets in oils.  I loved it!

Later on, in 1979, living in Edmond, married for four years, with a baby daughter, Gena Marie, and a baby boy due to be born in January, 1980, I began taking watercolor lessons from Arni Anderson -- (Robin Anderson's dad, and Matt Gayle's father-in-law). As much fun as oils were, painting in watercolors was harder -- more challenging! Arni was (and is) a great teacher. He was patient,kind, and a source of encouragement and inspiration. I am so thankful for his having introduced me to a medium that is difficult to navigate without instruction. Arni encouraged me to go to a few workshops where I saw masters of the watercolor medium, work their magic -- while carrying on conversations with awe-struck students like me!

Now, 29 years after starting lessons with Arni, I'm still hooked on watercolor painting. I can't play the violin like Gena or her Mom (my wife, Paula). I can't sing like Gena's husband, Erick -- but, I can and have found expression through my watercolors. I'll never be an Arni Anderson, but I can paint for my own enjoyment, and that's enough for me.

Arni may not even remember his gift to me, but I will never forget what he shared with me during those lessons that I enjoyed for more than a year. I'll always be grateful that he left me with an ability, to some extent, to express my thoughts in a fun and challenging way.

Here are a couple of watercolors from the 'past'. The scene with the bluebonnets was an early painting that I copied from another artist. Trying to learn by copying is something that was good training. Later on, with a little experience, it is not difficult to imagine scenes that you want to paint, from your own mind. The winter scene is my own creation, and, naturally, producing something that is 'your own' is much more fulfilling.

I signed my name in the barbed wire, so my signature wouldn't ruin the painting. I hope you enjoy them. I hope, too, that if you get into a 'funk' and feel caught in a rut, that you'll consider seeking out someone who can help you 'find yourself' artistically, in one thing or another. Find someone with a passion for what they do best and dive in! Find an 'Arni Anderson.' You've got everything to gain and you'll never be sorry for having done it! Some of my favorite memories of Gena and Jeff, when they were little, was in having them join me in the kitchen for 'watercolor sessions'. Those were sweet times for a Dad to get to enjoy with his kids. I'll never ever forget those days. I also had the privilege of teaching a few friends a little about watercolor painting. My Mom and Dad became painters in the sunset of their lives, due to an 'extension' of Arni's good instruction...I shared what little I knew with them! Mom was good. Dad wanted to be good.

Dad was the eternal optimist. Always one for jumping the gun, so to speak, when Dad decided to become a painter, he immediately went out and had business cards made that said: Jack Shoemake, humorous Western artist! Unbelievable! Business cards!...when he had yet to have his first lesson! Then he went to Triangle A&E in Dallas and bought about a $1,000 of art supplies --- expensive easel, gobs of paints and brushes and this and that. Then he built a studio out behind their home in Dallas. He went into painting full-tilt ---like he did with everything else in his life. He never learned how to paint, but I always was both a little embarrassed by his 'spontaneity'...and yet, somehow, I admired him for his passion for anything he was interestd in.

Mom, in her quiet way, let Dad have all the 'glory' when visitors to their home saw and enjoyed their paintings. She made a big deal of Dad's paintings, and downplayed her own talent. Mom had the real talent. This was just another example of Mom's servant heart...putting others first. I sure miss Mom. I loved Mom and Dad, but I really miss Mom.

I'm rambling here, so I'll close. One more thing and I'm out of here.......

While you're at it, google Rudyard Kipling's poem called L'Envoi...it's probably the most beautiful poem I've ever read. You'll like it too! It touches on the artist in all of us...and it hints at Heaven in a grand way!

Thanks for checking in....

2 comments:

Gena said...

Staring at beautiful painting right now.....I have a feeling those watercolors will make an appearance again someday. Right after you get the golf club business going again. :) I'll run that one for you, so you can focus on something you love.

Gena said...

Whoops. I meant 'staring at a beautiful painting.'